Due to increasing costs, we are having to increase our vial fees to $1250 per vial effective 11/1/2022. We appreciate your understanding.
We will be closed October 10th, 2022 in observance of Indigenous People's Day. Thank you!
Please be advised, masks are required when visiting our facility. Thank you!
A Directed Donor is an individual who stores sperm for a designated recipient who may or may not be their intimate partner or spouse (friend, surrogate). A Directed Donor account should also be opened if a recipient has not been designated. Any stored vials in this account must be quarantined for six months prior to release. Additional blood and urine testing is required if you donate for longer than three months and at the end of the quarantine period.
The initial cost to set-up this account is $2150 (cost will increase based on optional tests and number of return visits).
Before the first appointment can be scheduled, the donor must contact us at email@example.com or 510-841-1858 to request the screening documents be emailed. All of the paperwork must be submitted for review. A physical exam which must include a visual genital exam has to be performed prior to the first appointment. After all documents are submitted, the donor can call to schedule their first appointment.
At the first office visit, the donor will: (approx. one hour)
- Finish required paperwork, review and sign the Storage Contract
- Provide a semen sample in our lab- this ejaculate will be analyzed, frozen and stored
- Have blood and urine collected
- Pay initial account set-up fees
- This account has regulatory required testing and screening
- There is six-month quarantine required for all Directed Donor vials collected. An exit blood draw ($650) is required at least 6 months after the last collection appointment.
- Specific paperwork, documents and a Medical Exam are required prior to initial visit.
- Donor needs to be able to access our Berkeley office to open account and make deposits.
- An exit/releasable blood draw is required 6 months after the last ejaculate is stored. The exit blood draw is $650.
- Vials will be releasable approximately 7+ months after the initial visit.
Choosing to make additional deposits:
- Call to store additional samples (additional cost required)
- Number of vials created from each visit depends on volume of the ejaculate
- One vial equals 1cc of semen (if unwashed) or 0.5cc of semen (if washed-IUI ready)
- One vial equals one attempt at pregnancy
An EXIT blood draw is required 6 months after the last deposit (cost not included in the initial fees).
Because of the regulatory required quarantine, vials stored in this type of account will be releasable approximately 7 months after the last semen deposit is made and exit blood draw is completed.
How do I get started?
For Directed Donors and Known Donors, we highly recommend you schedule a semen analysis and test thaw appointment with TSBC prior to setting up a storage account, if you are storing for a recipient and not for yourself. This is to determine your sperm count and volume.
- At this appointment the donor will:
- provide an ejaculate for evaluation
- this ejaculate is not stored and cannot be used for insemination.
- our lab will perform a complete semen analysis on the sample, freeze it, and thaw it a week later to assess cryo survival, we call this a "test thaw".
- the semen analysis indicates the donor’s general fertility and the test thaw indicates how well the donor’s sperm survives freezing.
- This appointment is an office visit it is NOT the same as opening a Storage Account.
To begin the sperm storage process please call us with any questions and to request the required paperwork be emailed to you. Once all the required paperwork has been filled out by all parties and returned to TSBC then you can call and make an appointment for the Account Set Up. All paperwork must be received before the initial visit.
- At the Initial Account Set Up visit the Donor will:
- Review and sign the Storage Contract
- Provide a semen sample for storage in our lab.
- Have blood and urine collected in our lab
- Once this visit is complete the account is open
Please allow up to 1 hour for the Initial Appointment. Any subsequent appointments for additional deposits are 30 minutes.
Please email for more details. Or call 510.841.1858, option 1.